Auricular acupuncture is a therapy where very fine needles are inserted into specific acupuncture points on parts of the ear.
Gentle stimulation of these points can directly influence the body into stimulating natural substances such as pain relieving endorphins, and by doing so can help reduce both stress and pain.
Auricular acupuncture can been used to treat many common complaints including:
- Hot Flushes
- Anxiety & Stress
- Migraine’s and Tension Headaches
- Digestive Disorders
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
This therapy has been found to be particularly helpful for those suffering from anxiety, stress, depression and insomnia and has been frequently used to help many people suffering from addiction problems.
Five fine sterile disposable needles are inserted into specific points on each ear, they are left in place for approximately 30 minutes while you sit back and relax to soothing music. Auricular (ear) acupuncture is not usually painful but some people experience a slight stinging sensation at first. Most people find that they feel quite sleepy and comfortable both during and after their treatment. Clothing need not be removed and treatment can be given sitting in a comfy chair.
After your treatment has finished the needles are removed and disposed of. This is completely painless but occasionally slight bleeding can occur, this is easily controlled with a cotton swab.
How Will I Feel Afterwards?
Most people feel very relaxed and calm after a treatment. You can immediately return to your usual activities, however, occasionally some people can feel drowsy for a short time afterwards. If this does happen it is advisable to sit quietly for 5 to 10 minutes, have a glass of water, a light snack and a little fresh air before driving or returning to work.
How Often Do I Need A Treatment?
Normally 6 to 10 treatments are advised on a weekly basis. It is recommended that monthly or 3 monthly booster treatments may be necessary to keep symptoms fully under control.
- It is important to have a light meal or snack before a treatment.
- Avoid drinking alcohol both before and after your treatment.
- Occasionally you may experience a headache or a short flare up of the symptoms you are seeking help with, this is nothing to worry about, you can take regular pain medication if need be.
- If you are diabetic it is important you monitor your blood sugar levels after your treatment as occasionally acupuncture can cause blood sugar levels to drop slightly.